Dr. Vin Gupta

Principal of Health at Amazon; Professor of Health Metrics Sciences at the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) at the University of Washington

Dr. Vin Gupta, MD, MPA, MSc, wears a variety of hats on a normal day. Dr. Gupta is an active Critical Care Pulmonologist and Major in the US Air Force Medical Corps Reserve. He serves as an affiliate faculty at the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), part of the University of Washington, and he’s currently Principal Scientist and Chief Medical Officer of COVID-19 Response for Amazon.com, Inc. 

For 15 years, Dr. Gupta has worked in public health for organizations including the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Harvard Global Health Institute, and the World Health Organization (WHO). Additionally, Dr. Gupta is a regular commentator and contributor for NBC News, the New York Times, and CNN as well as a medical advisor to the NFL and MLB

Before the pandemic, Dr. Gupta had a path, as he describes, typical of the physician scientist path—where 80% of his time was spent doing epidemiology data metrics research at the IHME and the other 20% was spent providing care as a pulmonologist at hospitals within the University of Washington. In late 2019, he joined Amazon to work on a telemedicine project that would only become more relevant in the coming months. When the pandemic hit, he became further enmeshed in the health technology sphere and collaborated with pulmonologists in Italy to develop a Chest X-Ray toolkit for COVID-19 through his work with Amazon. Dr. Gupta was deployed by the Air Force through his reserves commitment and in September 2021 found himself providing advanced ICU care in southern Ohio in a C130 aircraft.

Learn more about Dr. Vin Gupta’s work: